Seven months, did you say? Honestly, where has the time gone?
We bought our block in June 2014, and then waited another year for titles. We were “slabbed” in July 2015 and I’m really hoping we are in by June / July this year. So all up, it will be a 2 year process – far out! I know it will be worth it, but patience is really not my virtue and we are itching to be in our own house now.
Progress on the house this year has been very, very slowwww and not without a few issues. Our slab was the first to go down in our street by a good couple of months and now people are almost ready to move in! It’s kind of funny, in a crazy, hysterical way.. My boyfriend keeps telling me to calm my farm and that we will be in soon enough.
Building this house has been overall, a good experience and I am so grateful we are in a position to be able to build a home that we can enjoy and appreciate for many years to come. But far out, I didn’t expect it to be such a tedious process.
You really have to be on the ball at all times and check every single, little thing. It’s definitely serving as a learning experience for the both of us and I am getting really good at writing “firm” emails, although transcending that tone of “firmness” over the phone, is still a skill I am yet to acquire.. I leave the talking to the other half whilst I stick to being the ‘key board warrior’.
So for the issues, because I want this blog to capture the whole building journey, not just the fun parts and the shopping!
*disclaimer – re-reading the below, I sound like a whinging customer from hell – oops! But then I remember it’s our hard earned money so they should be doing a good job*
- Our builder sent us a progress payment for our grey float (the internal render), upon checking on the works prior to authorising the payment – we were shocked to see no grey float? After a “firm” email to the builder, they acknowledged their mistake and were apologetic. The invoice was retracted and the works were completed a week later.
- Air conditioner dramas. We paid a small fortune to have ducted air conditioning completed through the builder. This was strongly advised at contract stage as the roof space with the upper floor is limited. So to ensure a seamless finish the air-con needed to be installed during the build. We accepted this, but what we weren’t going to accept was the aircon piping in one of the upstairs wardrobes. Their solution was to put a box around it, meaning we would lose almost half the wardrobe space – NO DEAL, and this was not on the plans!!!! The OH ended up meeting with the supervisor and basically told them this was a non-negotiable item and to fix it. They reluctantly agreed, though we are yet to see the rectification – so fingers crossed it’s all okay this week.
- Windows are damaged – although I think this is pretty common and may have just been added to my list when I was raging about the two above items. The builder has agreed to fix this and check every other window for damage.
- And a few other items that are now being fixed so not really worth a mention. But the lesson of the above is – check everything and DO NOT back down. You’re spending hard earned money on a house and it should be be built to perfection – or at least close enough.
So now that we are over that hump. Onto the progress that has been made on the house, including:
- Grey float finished – for real this time!
- Ceilings installed (upstairs only – downstairs can’t be done until the air-con issue is fixed)
- Upstairs walls installed
- Electrical complete
- White set started!
A few more photos from the camera roll!
I’ve been particularly good on the homeware buying front this month. But I did pick up these gorgeous european cushions from Adairs.
I LOVE this letterbox set up via 101 Residential and how gorgeous is the cobblestone-look paving through the aggregate driveway and up to the portico.
I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed that the next post will be about lock up!