I knew it would happen sooner or later. No matter how organised and prepared we were, a variation was going to make its way onto our build contract. At $500 a pop, just to raise the variation, it really has to be justified.
When we did pre-start we tried our best to keep the costs down by making sure most of our upgrades were included at pre-contract stage. However, the electrical changes had to be done at pre-start. I have absolutely no idea about the electrical side of things, or structural for that matter, so this was left to Josh! We added what we thought would be enough and made sure GPO’s (powerpoints) were placed on walls that Josh could then chase later (totally not the right terminology, but I have no clue about any of this…). Fast forward 6 months and after 101 jobs have been added to Josh’s “post handover list” we decided that we may as well add all the electrical we need to ease the amount Josh has to do afterwards. Plus, being a two-storey the lower floor has limited access to the roof space, so we really need to get all of this right at construction stage.
I really wish WA builders would wait until the house is at plateheight before they make you decide on your electrical plan. That way, you would be able to walk through the house and really get an idea where you need everything.
What we added.:
- pendant light switch height – I forgot to specify the height we wanted these, so they’re at 1400mm H which looks ridiculous. We’ve moved them down to 900H so they will sit just above our bedside tables.
- hallway powerpoint – for the vacuum / a lamp on our entry table.
- powerpoint in garage for power tools (high pressure cleaner for washing cars etc).
- Front exterior lights.
- An outdoor light near the clothesline! How will Josh see when he is hanging out our washing?? Haha, just kidding – this will be a pink job for sure.
- more GPO’s (powerpoints) throughout – I think we added 10 more in total.
- ceiling fan conduit in the master bedroom – this is a must so we don’t have to use the aircon as often!
- added conduit and faceplates in the theatre + a GPO on the roof for the projector.
Our variations came to $1800 including the $500 variation fee (OUCH!). But I think we will be glad we spent the money and had everything ready for when we move in.
Here’s a few photos of our build from the camera roll this week.
Our colorbond was delivered, so I’m hoping for lower roof cover by the end of next week.
Double Shower – Woohoo! Can’t wait to see all the wet areas complete – I think that will be one of the most exciting parts of the build.
Kitchen (window splashback) and Scullery / WIP to the left
Dining / Alfresco
My favourite part of our house – the huge entry door!
I’ve just realised I haven’t got any photos of upstairs… I will try and get some next week when the lower floor roof is finished.